The YMCA of Florida’s First Coast is partnering with Duval County Public Schools to provide a 21st Century Community Learning Center at Jacksonville Heights Elementary, Windy Hill Elementary and Ramona Boulevard Elementary.
The Summer Program runs June 12, 2017 – July 21, 2017, 8:00am-5:00pm (no July 4 operation day). It is offered at no cost to children in kindergarten through fifth grade. The goals are threefold:
- Provide students with opportunities for academic enrichment
- Offer personal enrichment opportunities that reinforce and complement students’ academic program
- Provide students’ families with activities and programs that support literacy and personal growth. This program is of no cost to the students and their families
Students attend the program during the summer to reinforce subject areas learned throughout the school year. In a fun but educational environment, students will work on projects that include designing business plans, creating health and nutritional marketing, and strengthening debate skills.
Through enrichment activities, students are able to learn character development traits and social competencies through positive youth development such as leadership, kindness, team work and follow through. These activities include step club and garden club. Support is also extended to meet family needs through advisory board activities that assist in connecting them to various community and social service needs.
Selection into the program is prioritized by academic need. Parents or guardians should contact the program coordinator at the school to complete a registration form. The locations and contact numbers are below.
- Jacksonville Heights Elementary
- Program Coordinator – Tiaerra McLaurin
- 7750 Tempest St
- Jacksonville, FL 32244
- Windy Hill Elementary School
- Program Coordinator – Katrina Simmons
- 3831 Forest Blvd
- Jacksonville, FL 32246
- Ramona Elementary
- Program Coordinator – Briana Frazier
- 5540 Ramona Blvd
- Jacksonville, FL 32205
For more information on the 21st Century Community Learning Center program, click on one of the links below:
Page last updated May 15, 2017 @ 10:00am